Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm a participant!


AKA Not my best race...but I will still be thankful.

Before you get to my bitching/moaning, read Healthy Tipping Point. Amazing post today. It's getting me out of my shallow dark mood.

So, I ran the BAA 10K this morning. I went to bed last night at 10:30 to get up at 5:30 (I know - not 8 hours. I just couldn't do it!). Unfortunately my mom didn't realize I had a race and called me at 11! I'm usually a night owl so it would be alright, but this time, not so much. I took 2 minutes to brush her off (sorry Mom!), and tried to go back to bed. Wasn't happening.

Got up, got dressed.



Notice a theme in the outfit/bathroom wall? Yes - I like purple. And if you look carefully, you can see the ring on my right hand. It's the ring I bought myself when I hit my goal weight. And I don't think you can see in this picture, but I am wearing purple butterfly earrings that my brother/sister-in-law gave me for Christmas this past year.

It was an interesting morning - hazy all the way to Boston Common. I got there way early - race was at 8, I got there at 6:45! That's what I get for overthinking things. Since I had so much time I went to the lovely port a potties. Never look down in those; you just don't want to know. Anyway, I hung out and people watched. It truly is amazing the sizes and shapes of all the people doing the race. I saw this one older couple that had matching bright yellow shirts and blue shorts. B.A.A colors, I believe, but for the 5K. They were so cute; I actually saw them in the race at the very end, with the pickup bus right behind them. I really hope they were able to finish!

Anyway, after all that people watching I realized I had to go to the bathroom (again). I had to wait a few minutes to get to one, as opposed to earlier when I just walked in. I had to wait so long that I got to the corrals just as the first wave was starting! I ducked through the gates to the corral (not the only one doing it), took my gu, drank some water, and was ready to kick it.

I started off fast; too fast, as it turned out. My knee ached for the first two miles, but I fought through. Mile 1 - 10:19. Mile 2 - 10:38. Given my average pace for my last 10K was 10:50, I should have known that I couldn't keep this up.

Walked through the water stop at 2 miles. Got running again. Got hot. Mile 3 - 11:18. Slowing down. Walked at mile 3.5? Something like that. Ran to water stop at mile 4. Grabbed some water. Probably shouldn't have. It made me nauseous.

Mile 4 - 10:26. Walked at mile 5. When I did, felt dizzy for a few seconds. Walked/ran mile 5 and 6. Mile 5 - 10:56. Mile 6 - 11:35. Mile 6.2 - 10:14.

End result - 1:07:50. 24 seconds off my PR in May. Now I'm going to be cranky/spoiled here, which is hard to do after reading the HTP link above. I'm just unhappy with my results. I know I can do better. I'm at the point in my running career where I am over that "Ohmigod - I can't believe I'm finished!" feeling and am hardcore "Dammit - I am so slow!". It's just that I know I can run this distance without walking. I did it for 10 miles in April! I don't know if it's the changing temps or what, but this is very frustrating.

So - not a PR. Trying my best not to care. On the upside - I do have my medal. And a nice new T-shirt. And I am stronger than I ever thought I could be.

No comments: