Saturday, July 23, 2011

Feeling Better

I almost met my goal from yesterday's post. Almost in the sense that although I didn't hit the full distance I wanted to, I felt like I made good progress towards being comfortable with the treadmill.

I got myself up @7 this morning. On a Saturday. Can't believe it myself. I'm either dedicated or getting old. Probably both.

Anyway, I decided that I wasn't in the mood for my regular fuel of an english muffin w/nut butter. Went with a bowl of Kashi Go Lean, walnuts, and dried cranberries. I should correct that - tried to go with that. I just wasn't in the mood for some reason. I ate maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the bowl and then covered it for later. Same with my regular morning Diet Mt. Dew - just wasn't feeling it.

Got dressed, went to gym. My gym is doing a contest where every 5 days you work out you get a raffle ticket. The prizes are awesome - tickets to the Red Sox game, or even the rest of the year's gym membership for free! That's what I want! The reason I mention this is that this morning they were giving little gold smiley stickers at check-in; I think those who put them on the sign-up sheet get extra entries. Yay for non laziness!

Stretched out. Knee is feeling moderately good. Definitely not twinging as much. Wow - actually listening to advice to ice and take pain killers works. Who knew? (Insert roll-eyes here).

Jumped on the treadmill. Started slow, then once I was moderately warmed up, covered the display with a towel. I had set it to finish at three miles.

I had a good music mix, and varied my speed. Since I covered the display I don't know my peak, but I do know that I was pushing myself. Not to sprint, but definitely a few clicks down from there. As I went along I made myself focus on posture - was I leaning forward, was I too close to the front of the mill, where were my hips. I also worked on my breathing, trying to go deeper in to my lower abdomen.

As I said above, I didn't go the full distance. I made it 2.37 miles before I ripped the towel off. Once I did that I knew that I would be distance watching, so I just stopped.

My speed was moderately slow, but I think that I had more of a spread between my slowest speed and my fastest, so I don't feel as bad as I could. I definitely felt more comfortable than yesterday on the 'mill.

I am going to continue to get more practice on the 'mill. If it gets hot again here, definitely, but mostly as I get into the fall. I don't want to waste good running weather inside!

Overall - I say a B- on this one. But with a smile.

No comments: