Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Not a total success...Baked Eggplant Sandwiches


Still had some provolone to use up (after the "Philly Cheese Steaks"). So, I decided to try something a little different. I love paging through Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant. Everything seems so different, and it really makes me want to try new things. The recipe that caught my eye this time, though, isn't truly exotic. Its advantage is that it uses up some cupboard ingredients, and has eggplant, which I love. So, I thought I'd give the Baked Eggplant Sandwiches a try.

The recipe is definitely in the Italian style, which I love. It's conceptually an eggplant parm, but without the sauce. They suggest using it as an appetizer or light lunch (which is what I did, just substitute the word "dinner" for "lunch").

What I like - it's lighter than the nutritional information given below. Honestly, even though I halved the recipe, I probably used a 1/4 of the toppings listed below. I also liked how the sandwich looked when it was cut. Something about the shape of the little eggplant bites really appealed. Also, there was a saltiness that brought out the provolone. I'm pretty sure that was because I salted liberally with kosher salt instead of regular salt.

What didn't work as well - the topping didn't melt and brown as much as the bottom did. I think if I moved the rack further up in the oven it might be better. It also might be the fact that I lined the baking sheet with foil instead of buttering it like the recipe called for. Laziness (not wanting to scrub down the sheet) probably was my undoing.

Would I make it again? Probably, if I had the provolone. I like the lightness of it, for those days when I've had a heavy lunch. But I won't deliberately buy the cheese for it.

And maybe as a sign, the pictures didn't turn out fantastically. Ah well - practice makes perfect!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Eggplant Sandwich

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 small eggplants
salt
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
fresh ground black pepper
6 slices sargento Deli Style Provolone -- thinly sliced
1 cup unbleached flour
3 eggs -- beaten

Lightly salt the eggplant slices and set them aside for at least 20 minutes.

Mix together the bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley, and black pepper.

Preheat oven to 350. Oil a baking sheet.

For each sandwich, place a slice of cheese between two slices of eggplant. Hold the sandwich firmly and coat both sides with flour. Dip the sandwiches first into the eggs and then into the bread crumbs to coat both sides. Place the finished sandwich on the baking sheet.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.

Source:
"Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 302 Calories; 9g Fat (27.8% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 109mg Cholesterol; 767mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: