Saturday, September 23, 2006

Changing a recipe to my own tastes - Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwiches


I've never had a cheese steak. It's strange to believe, given that I lived fairly close to Pennsylvania, but I guess I never did much visiting to Philadelphia. So, for those who have had a cheese steak, you might not want to take my endorsement of this recipe as saying it's a pretty good vegetarian mimic. All I say is that I like this recipe.

I had made this recipe before, and liked it well enough. I actually made the rolls that I put the recipe on, which was cool. This time, however, I decided to use La Tortilla Factory Rosemary wraps (leftover from when I used them with Roasted Veggie Spread). I think using the wrap made everything that much better - basically because it was much, much neater to eat.

As for the actual recipe, I like the flavor very much. The filling cooks down to a great texture. I especially like how the mushrooms cook down - I've lost a taste for raw mushrooms, but still like them when they are cooked. The flavor of the filling is salty, and resembles soy sauce somewhat, but not so much so. If you gave this to someone without telling them what was in it, I don't think you'd be able to identify the soy sauce, but you would have a sense that it's a familiar flavor. The provolone adds the final flavor, and it definitely adds the perfect final touch.

I like this recipe. Making it a wrap turns it into a recipe I definitely want to repeat (and freeze?). I can't promise it's a perfect imitation of the real thing, but I think it stands up well enough on its own.

Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwich

No comments: