Thursday, October 13, 2005

Oh so pretty, but not quite sure...

...on the taste. I have had a bag of flax seeds in my freezer for several months. I had thought about this recipe for several months. I definitely prefer muffins, but a quick bread loaf will do in a pinch. I would normally make a loaf into muffins, but this recipe uses a topping. I don't do well with toppings.

I should have gone with my first instinct and mixed all the pecans into the batter instead of going by the recipe and putting about 1/2 on top. They browned a lot, and a lot fell off.

Aside from the topping falling off, I can honestly say that this loaf was the prettiest quick bread I've ever made. It crowned beautifully and evenly above the top of the pan. It sliced smoothly.

The loaf itself held together nicely in the next couple days. Didn't dry out. Wasn't too wet. But...I'm still not sure on the flavor. It's on the edge of unlikeable.

If I did repeat the recipe, I would do a full 1/2 cup of pecans, and mix them into the loaf. And probably make it as muffins.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini-Pecan Flaxseed Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flax seeds -- ground to measure 1/2 cup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup stonyfield Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted
3 tablespoons chopped pecans -- toasted

Preheat oven to 350º.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine dry ingredients (flours through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Spread zucchini onto several layers of papertowels; cover with additional towels. Press down firmly to remove excess liquid.

Combine liquid ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in zucchini.

Add zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup pecans to the flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour batter into a 9X5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the top with 3 tbs of chopped pecans. Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.

Source:
"CL 05/05"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 225 Calories; 8g Fat (29.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 266mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2 comments:

Joe said...

I made this when it first came out in CL. It was so good! I kept some in the freezer and it made some great toast. I like the idea of making them into muffins!

Cate said...

Glad to see you're back blogging! :)