Sunday, March 19, 2006

I'm here, I swear!

So, haven't done much cooking lately. Mostly because I have been going out to lunches a lot, so by the time I get home, I don't want to face another meal. Fruit, veggies, and light frozen dinners are my friend.

But to tell you the truth, I miss cooking a lot. I already limited my baking for weight concerns, but now it's turning in to limiting cooking altogether, which is not something that makes me happy. I have to change what I eat when I go out to lunches, so that I can cook good dinners.

Anyway, I'm back to cooking, and Saturday night I cooked up a quick tofu dish from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. I honestly love this cookbook. It's not that I've made that much from it, it's just that the book design is gorgeous.

The recipe was quick and easy, and allowed me to take advantage of some fresh squeezed orange juice. I really like how nicely this recipe came together. The flavor was perfect. I served it with plain couscous. Next time, I might go with a flavored couscous, maybe cook in veggie broth, because it would add a nice flavor element.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Pan-Glazed Tofu with Orange Juice and Warm Spices

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable broth, ready-to-serve
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
cayenne
salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound firm tofu -- cut into 8 slices and blotted dry
1 tablespoon minced parsley -- or cilantro

Combine the orange juice, broth, sugar, spices, and cayenne and salt to taste in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn the tofu and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 5 minutes.

Add the orange juice mixture to the pan and simmer, turning the tofu once, until the liquid reduces to a thick syrup and the tofu is glazed, about 2 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a serving platter and scrape the glaze left in the pan over the tofu. Garnish with herbs and serve.

Source:
"A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 133 Calories; 9g Fat (54.4% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 94mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Book says to serve with couscous and a fennel, arugula, and black olive salad.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2 comments:

Michele said...

Too cool! I was just looking for a tofu recipe, thsi soundss great!

Patti said...

Nice to see you again!