Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yes, another blended soup - Ginger-Pumpkin Bisque

After Saturday's cooking-thon, I really wasn't in the mood for cooking. In fact, I had almost totally lost my appetite. I didn't know what I was going to do! Luckily, I got my appetite back, and forced myself back into the kitchen.

The recipe I made is posted in this thread on the CLBB - http://community.cookinglight.com/showpost.php?p=326854&postcount=10. I had been doing some crazy shopping at Wegman's on Saturday (don't ask me how many bags of baking chips I picked up), and along the way I had bought 2 cans of pumpkin, with an eye towards baking. I decided to go with this bisque to use up some of the fresh ginger I had left in my fridge from buying it for Saturday's cocoa. Plus, it used up some of the cider I have, and the rest of my bottle of maple syrup. In fact, the only thing I had to buy for this recipe was the shallots - love having a well-stocked kitchen! I ended up using 15 ounces of pumpkin, and only 1/4 cup of maple syrup. I think that was a good thing with the syrup - I wouldn't want this soup any sweeter.

The recipe was fairly simple, and blended together to a nice thickness. The flavor wasn't overwhelming pumpkin or ginger, but a nice blend. Altogether a beautiful recipe in flavor and taste, and I could see serving it as a first course for a dinner party. As for me, I like it, but not for an everyday thing. Too rich for my everyday meal, even though I used milk & 1 tbsp of flour as a substitute for the half-and-half (I didn't even have that in the recipe I had!)

No comments: