Monday, December 04, 2006

Enh - Black Soybean and Butternut Squash Stew




Pros:
Trying something new! The wonders of having a Wegman's next to work - a wide array of organic foods! I was thrilled to find canned black soybeans. I'd seen two recipes with these as an ingredient, and since I love black beans, I thought I'd see if I could love black soybeans, to get that extra nutrition.

It's filling! I was able to eat it for lunch and dinner and not have any hunger issues.

The color. As you can see from the picture, the butternut squash, the red peppers, and the black beans mix very nicely. Although the beans didn't hold the dramatic color of true black beans.

A good amount of veggies, which is always a positive. Always happy to make recipes with bell peppers.

Cons:
Just not that exciting flavor. Even as leftovers, left to "meld" as it were, it didn't excite. Not repulsive - just not fantastic. But then again, the fact that I'm used to regular black beans probably spoiled me. The soybeans just didn't have the same depth of flavor and meaty texture.

Maybe I need to start adding more salt to my recipes. My blood pressure is so low, it could use the additional sodium. Not many people can say that! I'm just not a big salt person - I prefer pepper.

So, the 3 leftover servings go in the freezer, will be lunches in the future, but will not be repeated. But maybe someone else's experience will be different.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Soybean and Butternut Squash Stew

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large red onion -- diced
1 red bell pepper -- seeded and diced
1 garlic clove -- minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/4 pounds butternut squash -- cut in 1 1/2" cubes
30 ounces canned black soybeans
16 ounces low-sodium vegetable stock

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and pepper until the onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Mix in the garlic, cumin, and paprika, cooking until they are fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste.

Add the squash, beans, and vegetable broth. When the liquid boils, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the squash is tender, 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Source:
"12 Best Foods Cookbook"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 230 Calories; 10g Fat (36.0% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: