Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Something new to me....Light Salade aux Lardons


I have the hardest time with salads as a main meal. Goodness knows, I know that there are things named as a "salad" that have more calories than a lot of things I eat as a main meal. It's just that I never believe that a salad can satisfy. Of course, I can't really say that the salad I tried tonight is just a salad. I consider it ham and eggs on greens.

Of course, the recipe I made is a little classier than that. Light Salade aux Lardons comes from Eating Well Healthy in a Hurry. Eating Well is the second source I would go for a new recipe. (Cooking Light is first, of course). I have this cookbook, as well as their Serves Two cookbook, out from the library, trying to figure out if I want to add to my too large recipe collection. I think I will pick up both, because I think both are gorgeous.

This recipe was fairly simple. The timing could be done well enough that I could see getting this done in 15 minutes. It's all a matter of prep, which I almost got right. Anyway, the recipe is basically crisping up some Canadian bacon, tossing with some greens in a simple dressing, and topping with a poached egg.

Now, I will admit I've never poached an egg. I'm just not that much of an egg person. This first try was not totally successful. I think I overcooked a bit, and the egg white did not hold together when it went in to the pan, which meant I lost half of it. When I make an egg tomorrow night for the leftovers, I will try doing some vinegar in the water, as I heard that keeps the white together.

I also like the fact that I got to try Canadian bacon for the first time. I've been reading up on the Core plan at Weight Watchers a lot (I'm on Flex, and might be looking for a change), and they talk a lot about this meat. I like the flavor and nice browning it got in the pan, and I definitely like the flavor.

I like this salad. I could see eating it as a breakfast on the weekend even, or a light dinner. I think the dressing could definitely be switched up, and this isn't a recipe that I would get excited over, but it does give me an option to use up eggs. Ya never know - I might turn into an egg person!

And as a note - I halved the recipe, and used red lettuce instead of frisee. The original recipe can also be found at EatingWell.com


* Exported from MasterCook *

Light Salade aux Lardons

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
4 ounces canadian bacon -- cut in 1/2" cubes
1 head frisee lettuce -- torn
1/2 large shallot -- minced
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs

Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.

Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to bowl. Add shallot to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining tablespoon oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour mixture onto lettuce; toss to coat.

Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.

Divide salad among 2 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over top and serve immediately.

Source:
"EW Healthy in a Hurry"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 262 Calories; 19g Fat (66.2% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 240mg Cholesterol; 1021mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Light Salade aux Lardons

No comments: