Thursday, February 08, 2007

Trying to steal the crown...King Arthur's Best Chip Cookies

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a friend that sits in the cube next to me that brings in baked goods every Monday. When she was out last week, I upped the ante as her replacement, and brought in baked goods twice (applesauce cake on Monday, "Deep Dish Brownie Pizza" on Friday). I was almost crowned the new baking queen - but I didn't bake this past Monday. I want that crown, though - so I solicited requests, and was asked for oatmeal chocolate chip.

To find the recipe, I went to King Arthur, which I consider one of the top recipe sources. Their books are incredible; I love their baking book, and am trying to love their whole grain baking book, although for some reason I am slow to warm to it. It does make me want to buy spelt flour, however. Like I need another kind of flour - I already have 4.

Anyway, instead of working from their books, I decided to be high-tech, and take a recipe from their website. The recipe I decided to try was King Arthur Flour's Favorite Chip Cookies. With a name like that, it has to be great, right?

Well, I'm not sure these will be MY favorite chip cookies. They are less of an oatmeal cookie, and more of a chocolate chip with oatmeal in it. That should be expected, though, from the fact that the oats are ground up in it. They aren't overly sweet, which can be good, but they are somewhat bland. That might be due to no salt in the recipe.

The good thing about these is that they came out to be the perfect cookie shape - almost round. I had halved the batch, and worked with a tablespoon instead of the teaspoon they wanted (teaspoon cookies are too small!). I ended up with 27 cookies, which fitted perfectly on two sheet pans.

I was such a nut last night. I got everything mixed up, and then realized I hadn't preheated the oven! DUH! But that gave me a good opportunity to clean up and load the dishwasher while it heated, which was nice. Wouldn't want that to happen again - especially if I was making muffins!

It's funny - now that I've made these, I'm craving a soft oatmeal raisin cookie. What I might do for my next baking is experiment with finding a good soft oatmeal cookie, and using the new dark chocolate raisinettes in them. That would be fun.

No comments: