Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ah - so close.

There are certain ingredients that I love. Most of these ingredients are in season in the fall. One of my favorites is acorn squash. The only recipe I've made with it, however, is roasted. As wonderful as I find that simple prep, when I found a recipe for acorn squash soup in Simply the Best Italian , I knew I had to try it.

Acorn squash is not as smooth as butternut squash. Unfortunately for this soup, even though there was great flavor and seasoning in the recipe, the graininess of the squash was too overwhelming to overlook. Not a repeat. I will say that the roasting of the squash/onion in the oven smelled like heaven!

And for the record, other fall/winter favorites include cranberries, parsnips, and sweet potatoes. And clementines - but I don't cook with those much...yet.

No comments: