Thursday, November 30, 2006

A different heart-healthy - Romesco Sauce

A few months ago, I ran out of peanut butter. I always buy the natural PB to avoid all the extra sugars and trans-fats, but I felt like being a little healthier. Almonds are considered one of the many great sources of heart healthy oils. So - almond butter! Unfortunately, I have not felt as attached to almond butter as to PB. The texture is grittier. And since I am parsimonious, I need to use up the rest of the jar before I buy PB.

I found this recipe for romesco sauce in Peanut Butter Planet. From my research on romesco sauce, it is most commonly made with almonds. Peanut Butter Planet had replaced the almonds with PB, and I replaced the PB with almond butter. Loop back!

The preparation of the recipe made me nervous. I had read through the recipe before I decided to make it, but I guess I hadn't really taken it fully in. I didn't realize that I would be cooking the first ingredients for 15 minutes - including garlic! When I completed the first part, everything was blackened, which didn't seem to bode well. But onward I plunged.

And my cooking spaz moment - the most recent blade I had used in my food processor was the bread blade. So, of course, it was at the front of my pile of blades, and of course I used it. Of course, this ended up not blending it as well as it could have. Duh! And I didn't even realize it until I pulled it out of the dishwasher today.

The end result is a different sauce. I like the flavor. Of course, I've never actually tasted romesco sauce, so I don't know how authentic it is. The flavor is lightly spicy. I don't know if it's meant to be spicier. When I went to look for the small red pepper, all the ones at Wegman's looked wrinkled and old. First time I was ever truly disappointed there.

The recipe works nicely at room temperature. But what I'm not sure of is what to serve it with. I ate it with roasted veggies in a whole wheat pita this time, but it didn't feel right. I have two servings left, and a couple options I have considered are serving it with shrimp, or some form of veggie loaf.

I definitely could consider making this again. It depends on how it comes out of the freezer. If I do make it, I think it would serve 5 - 4 seems to be a lot of sauce per serving.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Romesco Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 red bell peppers -- chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red chile -- seeded and minced
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- drained
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup almond butter
salt and pepper -- to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper, chile, onion, and garic, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and vinegar and cook 15 minutes longer.

Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and add the peanut butter and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth and creamy.



Source:
"Peanut Butter Planet"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 170 Calories; 13g Fat (63.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 13mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: