Saturday, January 27, 2007

A new veggie...Garlicky Greens & Beans


I am obsessive about using ingredients as soon as I get them. I bought a can of cannellini beans last week, so I was searching my MasterCook for a recipe to use them. I was thrilled to find Garlicky Greens & Beans. It looked like the perfect side/light meal. I am definitely a garlic person. Plus, it gave me a chance to experiment with hearty greens (in this case, kale), which is a veggie I've never worked with.

The recipe came together quickly. I took advantage of the convenience products of today - the kale came already sliced in a bag! It also said it was washed, but I take no chances. Plus, I got to play with my salad spinner! (I can't help it - it's fun!)

I usually rinse & drain my canned beans, but this recipe calls for them undrained. I wasn't sure about that, but it definitely works. As the beans heat, the liquid picks up the garlic flavor beautifully.

The result is wonderful. The greens are tender, the sauce is garlicky (although I could see using a little less), and the mix of beans & greens definitely works. It even got me to like dried tomatoes, which I have never had luck with before.

Even though my pictures are still not great, I think you should be able to see that the color combination works. The bright green of the kale, the creamy white beans, the little bits of dried tomato...pretty.

I've double-wrapped the leftovers, in hopes that the garlic will not overwhelm the refrigerator. I can't wait to try the leftovers tomorrow!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlicky Greens and Beans

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:25
Categories : Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds kale, chard or mustard greens -- trimmed and cut into pieces (1 inch)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans) -- undrained
6 dried tomato halves -- rehydrated if dried, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried rosemary -- crushed
Dash red pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper -- to taste

In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water. Toss the greens into the boiling water and cook until they are almost tender but still bright green, 5-8 minutes (time will depend upon the type of green being used). Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside. (Greens can be cooked one day ahead; refrigerate until continuing with recipe). Heat olive oil in large skillet and sauté garlic until tender but not browned; stir in beans and cook and stir for 8 minutes, heating beans through (some beans may break up; this is okay as it helps thicken the dish); gently stir in reserved greens and remaining ingredients. Cook and stir gently until heated through. If desired, top each serving with a dusting of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Source:
"National Pork Producers Council"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.nppc.org"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 148 Calories; 3g Fat (18.8% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 624mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 2532 0 0 512 258 0 0 0 2130706543

No comments: