Thursday, January 25, 2007

Now that's addiction...Artichoke and Red Pepper Frittata

I haven't cooked all week. I didn't get a chance to do my elaborate dance of indecision, and I really didn't feel like shopping and cooking after a long day of work. I had decided that I would finally get to cook tonight.

So I had a sore throat yesterday that hung on all day today, and kept me drooping. I thought about picking up something simple for dinner. Unfortunately, my little obsessive mind didn't want to lose my cooking opportunity. Luckily the recipe I had chosen was something simple.

I'm not a huge fan of eggs. It's been bothering me though that I'd buy eggs to bake with, and end up tossing them before I could use them all. So I decided to try something aside from the standard egg white omelet. I'd tried a frittata before, and had ended up with a slightly burnt bottom. (On the frittata, not me). This recipe came from Eating Well - Artichoke and Red Pepper Frittata.

This recipe came together easily. I ended up using a 12-inch pan instead of 10-inch, and I don't think it would have been a good idea to use the smaller pan, because of how thick the mixture was in a 12-inch. The recipe says it serves 2, but that is a little too much egg for me, so I quartered it. Leftovers for breakfast!

The bottom was lightly golden, and broiled nicely on top. The artichoke hearts became slightly sweet with the heat. The oregano was a little too strong, so if I repeated, I might lower the oregano, and maybe add some tabasco.

The frittata could make a semi-egg lover out of me. Next step - soft-boiled over toast, or poached in spinach nests.

No comments: