Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Never been so glad for leftovers...Gingered Carrot Soup

I am exhausted tonight for some reason. More than usual. I am so glad I hadn't planned on cooking tonight. I have a nice recipe waiting in the fridge, all ready to be reheated.

I made the Gingered Carrot Soup last night. It came from my favorite, the CLBB, and it was posted on this thread -Recipe. It came up in a search of my MasterCook, when I was looking for recipes to use up leftover half and half. Funny thing is, when it came time to add the half and half I was afraid of it curdling, so the recipe I made to use up an ingredient didn't end up including that ingredient! It's alright, though, because I've found two recipes that I will try this week to use up the half and half, and I am excited about both.

This recipe blended up to be a very pretty orange soup. Duh - it's a carrot soup. The orange juice gave it a nice flavor, but I ended up using a bit less than the recipe called for, so with the full amount and no half and half, the soup might have turned out too sweet. I also tossed in a little pepper. I tried using my food processor to blend this, instead of my usual blender. I don't think it worked as well - I still hit ginger chunks. Next soup I might try using my new stick blender.

I'm sure that the soup developed a deeper flavor with sitting overnight, as most soups do. I'm so happy that I get to heat up and relax. Unfortunately, my cleaners come tomorrow, so I do have to do some cleaning. Ah well - I'll be energized with a nice dinner.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Gingered Carrot Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced ginger
3 cups low-sodium defatted chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds carrots -- peeled and sliced
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 cup minced ginger and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken stock and 4 cups sliced carrots. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.

Working in batches, puree mixture in blender or processor. Return soup to saucepan. Mix in orange juice, then half-and-half. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Mix in ground cinnamon. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing, thinning with more stock if necessary.) Ladle soup into warm bowls and top with carrot and ginger strips if desired, and serve.

Source:
"CLBB Canice - http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=80326&page=2&pp=30"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 196 Calories; 8g Fat (37.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 532mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: