Sunday, March 20, 2005

Eating Well Week - Day 1

Eating Well - the magazine (and cookbook that has the "essentials"). I've subscribed to the magazine for the past couple years, and since my subscription is up with the next issue, it's time to decide if I want to keep subscribing. I checked, and neither my library or the libraries in the interlibrary loan system that it belongs to subscribe to the magazine, so if I stop subscribing, I would have to pay for individual issues. The question is to figure out if I would be better off not subscribing.

So, for this week's challenge - 5 Eating Well recipes.

The first one is from an older issue of Eating Well. EW went in and out of publication. They re-started the magazine a couple years ago, but I just happened to have an older issue hanging around. The recipe is for Berry Rich muffins. The recipe called for mixed berries, either fresh or frozen, and some dried cherries. Well, I had 1 1/4 cups of frozen raspberries in my freezer, and the only dried fruit I have is two kinds of raisins (golden & regular), neither of which I felt would go well with the berries. So - I went with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Problem is, I'm not sure if the berries & chips don't overwhelm the dough part of the muffin. I didn't get any sense of the muffin dough - just the fillings. But that was just on first taste - we'll see if I can discern more. On the upside - the raspberries & chocolate were tasty!

No comments: