Thursday, March 31, 2005

One of my favorite recipes

First of all - to wrap up from last entry - the Spiced Tofu was very simple & good - could see myself repeating, because I would most likely have all the ingredients readily on hand.

Tonight, though, since I made it through the month & met my challenge of 25 new recipes in March (yay!), I thought I'd make it simple on myself and make a recipe I've made multiple times in the year since I first made it. Macaroni & Cheese. Now, be warned - I am a WW member - at goal for 3 years on April 14. So, I don't cook rich food - it just doesn't sit well with me - both at a culinary and gastronomical level (my tummy can't take it!). So, this is a WW recipe.

I usually double the recipe because I love it so much - and because it freezes so well. Since I am doubling it, I use canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh - because "fresh" tomatoes may not be as good as canned, I've found. I use my microplane on the garlic & use dried basil instead of fresh - I know, shame on me.

When I made it tonight, I burned the sauce slightly - still getting the timing on the macaroni cooked vs. when the cheese sauce is ready. Other than that - a simple, cheesy recipe with some veggies in for additional taste.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Macaroni and Cheese - WW VV

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Meals

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/2 onion -- grated
2 tablespoons unbleached flour
2 garlic cloves -- crushed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
pinch nutmeg
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
1 tomato -- diced
1 tablespoon chopped basil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.

In a large saucepan bring the milk, onion, flour, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cheese in batches until it's melted and the sauce is smooth; stir in the macaroni, tomato, and basil.

Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1-quart casserole. Bake until golden, 35-40 minutes; cool slightly before serving.

Source:
"WW Versatile Vegetarian, p. 138"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 247 Calories; 11g Fat (38.5% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 478mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 6 points!

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: