Sunday, November 06, 2005

Adventures in timing

It's always an interesting experience to try a new recipe. Add in the fact that some recipes have multiple processes that should be timed so that they come together simultaneously, and you get some interesting events. I firmly believe in the theory of mis en place. It's saved my butt on more than one occasion. But then I get cocky sometimes, and end up with blackened garlic because I had my back turned in order to get ready for the next step. And I just never learn.

I'm not leading up to a huge catastrophe with tonight's meal. The dish was a vegetarian shepherd's pie from WW Versatile Vegetarian. I've had good luck with recipes from this cookbook. In particular, their macaroni and cheese is excellent, and really is open to variation. Anyway, the pie involved cooking up the filling and then covering with potatoes. And here I will admit - I don't remember ever cooking potatoes. Nutty, I know. So, I had pulled the directions for boiling them from a Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. And my baker nature came in - it says 20 to 30 minutes to cook? Well, I'll make the filling at the same time, and it will all come together perfectly! Not quite. The damage was not that bad - the filling cooled a bit while I was waiting for the potatoes, and I definitely rushed the potatoes even with a longer cook, but the dish was still very good. Not sure it's a repeat, though. Something about all the vegetables involved - eh, they just didn't seem right to me. Something about tomatoes & potatoes in the same dish I think. And I normally would say that I could experiment with different add-ins, but somehow my brain has shut down on this one. Oh well. The very good thing is, there is no question that I got my veggies in for the day with this recipe!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Shepherd's Garden Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions -- chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces tofu -- crumbled
6 plum tomatoes -- diced
2 cups broccoli florets -- steamed
2 cups cauliflower flowerets -- steamed
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 large potatoes -- cooked, peeled, and mashed
2 ounces neufchatel cheese

Preheat the oven to 375. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms are wilted, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the tofu and tomatoes; cook about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, broth and parsley. Transfer to a 9"-square baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes and the cream cheese. Spread it over the tofu mixture. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.

Source:
"WW Versatile Vegetarian"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 314 Calories; 12g Fat (32.1% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 443mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: