Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Enough with the halloween chocolate - on to the banana & chocolate!

So my boss has had to giant ziploc bags of halloween candy in his office since the day after halloween. And of course, I was helping him go through it. I'm generous that way. Not the healthiest options of course. So, I decided this week to not eat it. I've been bringing in grapes, and that's my afternoon snack. But to ease the way, I made CL's Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread. Hey - it's better than pure chocolate!

I've tried to make this recipe before. I had gone with the 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch pan that they said. Unfortunately, it was too small. I had said I wanted to re-try it. That was 2 years ago. Never let it be said I rush things.

Anyway, I really like how this bread turned out. The fact that I ate two slices for this morning's breakfast might give a clue. Not too rich, not too sweet. I decided to give in and do all unbleached instead of the whole wheat/unbleached flour mix I've normally done. Treat myself right as it were. I think it's definitely a repeat for me.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Breakfasts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups unbleached flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- softened
1 1/2 cups mashed banana -- (about 3 bananas)
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add banana, egg substitute, and yogurt; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.

Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Source:
"CL September 2003, p. 154"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 240 Calories; 7g Fat (24.9% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 5 points

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: