Saturday, November 12, 2005

Again with the muffins

Last fall, right around Thanksgiving/Christmas, I bought three bags of cranberries and froze them in 1 cup portions. I swore that I would use them over the year. I just knew that I would be craving cranberry muffins. It's a year later, and I still had 4 cups in the freezer. I have a ton of cranberry muffin recipes. I will finish off the frozen berries - just in time to refill. It's a common hoarding behavior, from what I read on the Cooking Light bulletin board.

I decided to try a recipe that was a little different. Most cranberry muffins call for walnuts - this one calls for hazelnuts. It also calls for golden raisins, which I love and almost always have in my pantry. I of course modified the recipe to use 1/2 whole wheat flour. Always good to try and have some extra fiber.

The results of this recipe are okay, not great. Something about the taste of the muffin is a little greasy. It surprises me, since there is not that much oil in the batter. If I did repeat this recipe, I would go down to 1/4 cup canola oil, and maybe up the orange juice.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Hazelnut Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup cranberries
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
2 eggs
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon brandy

Heat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and cloves. In a food processor, finely chop the cranberries, raisins and hazelnuts. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, oil, and brandy. Mix the chopped cranberries, raisins, and hazelnuts and then pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir well.

Fill the greased muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes.

Source:
"Mad About Muffins"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 212 Calories; 9g Fat (37.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 65mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: