Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Pair of Simple and Good Recipes

Two new recipes today. Both simple - measure, mix, and let sit. Both recipes that I wouldn't immediately think of making, but thankfully I did, because both were fabulous.

The first was a breakfast recipe from the May 06 CL. It's a little higher in calories (and therefore points) than I usually do for breakfast, but this called to me because I love couscous. It's definitely a breakfast recipe, though. The creaminess of the milk & the sweetness of the fruit blend beautifully with the cinnamon. I think this is a nice option, because it is like oatmeal, but still different enough to be intriguing in a way. The original called for regular raisins, dried cranberries, and walnuts, but I used golden raisins, dried apricots (chopped), and toasted almonds, because I had them on hand.

The second was totally opposite of intriguing. It's simple - I've never had a great egg salad recipe. I also have tortillas in my freezer to use up, so when I saw the egg salad wrap recipe in Moosewood New Classics, I knew it was time to try it. I am not a big egg person by nature. However, I definitely like this egg salad recipe. The original called for asparagus spears as a part of the wrap, but in thinking about it, I decided I preferred the asparagus on the side. I also ended up using half the tarragon and no lemon, because I'm just too lazy to chop all the herbs, and I didn't have the lemon juice.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Tony's Breakfast Couscous

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup couscous
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts -- toasted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.)


Source:
"CL 05/06"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 304 Calories; 6g Fat (18.2% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0




* Exported from MasterCook *

Egg Salad Wrap

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 eggs
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper -- to taste
4 la Tortilla Factory WW tortillas
4 lettuce leaves -- red, green, or bibb

Place the eggs in a saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and cover with cold water.

In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tarragon, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. As soon as the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop them. Stir the eggs into the dressing. Set aside.

Heat tortillas individually in the microwave for 40 seconds. Lay each warm tortilla flat on a work surface. Center a lettuce leaf on each and top with 1/4 of egg salad. Fold in both sides over the filling and then roll from the bottom up to form a wrap.

Serve immediately.

Source:
"Moosewood Restaurant New Classics"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 235 Calories; 15g Fat (45.9% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 323mg Cholesterol; 641mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: