Sunday, September 17, 2006

Clearing out the fridge II- Cranberry Brown Muffins

Well, this might accidentally turn into a series! I started to type in the title for this entry, and up popped the fact that I had used it before (for whole wheat beer bread). Nice synergy.

I always feel so good when I finish a jar/bottle of something. Not quite sure why - it's just a nice little thrill. So, when I noticed that the cranberries I bought last Christmas were still languishing in the freezer, I knew I had to use them in the next couple months - so I could replace them with new bags of cranberries! I know, it's weird - I love cranberries, but then I never cook with the ones I freeze! And I usually do so well with working from my freezer... Anyway, I was paging through my new favorite cookbook, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, and found Cranberry Brown Bread. Perfect! It used a combination of wheat and white flour, which is what I like to use, it used minced walnuts, which I had the tiniest bit to use, it used molasses, which I had just a little bit clinging to the bottom of the bottle, and it used orange juice, which I could squeeze from an orange leftover from a previous recipe. Perfect! And, as it turned out, I actually used up more of the little drips and drabs than I thought I would. I didn't have enough molasses, so I filled in the gaps with the drabs of my maple syrup. And, of course, I converted the recipe from bread to muffins. I can just never slice bread evenly, so I prefer to do muffins, and use my handy dandy ice cream scoop (that never gets used for ice cream) to make them even.

And? Well, these muffins are okay, I guess. Don't think I'd repeat them. Just the fact that they use a whole stick of butter bothers me. Darn me for getting so fussy! Hehehe. Anyway, the muffins are more buttery than I am used to, but others may like them more. I dug on the fun part of cooking the cranberries and walnuts in the butter. I just love new ways to cook ingredients, even though they don't seem as effective as they could be (which was the case here). Visually the muffins are gorgeous. I think I have the texture down, but I always struggle with the moist bottom problem. I think there has to be a balance between letting the muffins sit in the tin to cool a bit, and letting them sit so long they steam themselves a bit. I let them sit for 5 minutes this time; might cut it in my next recipe down to 2.

So, I damn these muffins with faint praise; they are good, but just not my style.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Brown Bread (Muffins)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups cranberries -- coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped walnuts -- minced
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a medium-sized loaf pan.

Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet. Add cinnamon, cranberries, and walnuts, and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Sift together flours, powder, soda, and salt into a medium-large bowl.

Combine eggs, orange juice, vanilla, molasses, and brown sugar in a separate bowl and beat well. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the cranberries (be sure to scrape in all the butter). Stir until completely combined.

Spread into the prepared pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted all the way comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then rap the pan sharply to remove. Cool at least 30 minutes on a rack before slicing.

Source:
"The Enchanted Broccoli Forest"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 219 Calories; 11g Fat (42.5% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 56mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I baked the muffins for around 20 minutes, I think. I'll keep better notes next time.

No comments: