Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pushing boundaries...safely

I'm a moderately cautious person. An example of what I see as moderate is the way I go down stairs. First off - I don't like stairs. They scare me. On more than one occasion I've almost tripped over my jeans (hate you boot cut!) and fallen. So, when I go down the stairs I often hold the rail BUT I also try to not go too slowly. The people who leap down stairs amaze me - I just can't trust my balance and/or aim to do that.

I work with a personal trainer weekly. She is totally awesome. She's taken me so far in a year. Part of that progress is in trusting that I can do more than I think I can. She throws compound exercises with heavy weights at me with this utter faith that I can do them. Because she has that faith I have that faith, and I am amazed at how powerful I am becoming. For that hour, I am superwoman!

I of course workout beyond that hour. I like to think I push myself but to be honest I think I don't. I have modest goals and although I pay lip service to reaching them, I am not working like I should to reach them.

So changes are coming for me. I ran this morning with a weekly running group and pushed myself to a strong pace because I wanted to keep up. I'm going to stick with that. I'm also going to adjust my training to the point that I am extending myself beyond where I think I can go.

BTW - the stairs? Part of one of my running bootcamps was stair repeats. I think I might just have to add them to my routine. Maybe someday I'll be leaping down them as well.

No comments: