Monday, June 20, 2005

Curried Chicken Penne with Fresh Mango Chutney

I tend to get overly into planning. This is especially bad for cooking, because every time I think I've decided on a recipe to use up what I have leftover from another recipe, I get overwhelmed with all the other recipes that use the same ingredient. I also think I overestimate the amount of time it will take to make a recipe. This tends to make me avoid cooking after work, which knocks out most days.

I think I'm getting better though. I'm forcing myself to cook a little more, because I know the end result will definitely make me happy. Now if I could only be as effective with exercise...

So, last week I had planned to pick up something from the grocery store for dinner. But then I found this recipe, and decided to just do it. Picked everything up from the store, and got cooking! It was sort of fun - 3 pots going at the same time. Of course, then one of the pots was not heating because the heating coil had been disconnected by the cleaners. That threw off the timing slightly, but it was to an advantage, because the chutney used the extra time well.

The end result is a good recipe that I could see myself repeating, with a definite major mod. I like the pasta, I like the veggies - but the chicken just isn't necessary. I think if I did re-make this, I would leave out the chicken, and just use more veggies. One advantage is that I used the pre-cut mix of broccoli & cauliflower and saved all the time of chopping there.

I definitely like the sauce, but could see thickening it a bit somehow. It pooled at the bottom of the dish a little bit. The mango chunks taste good in their sauce even though the chutney could stand a little more thickening. I did use a new whole wheat pasta and liked how it came out. And even on re-heat from the freezer I liked it - and actually felt in some ways that it tasted better on reheat, which is a definite benefit.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Curried Chicken Penne with Fresh Mango Chutney

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Chutney
2 medium mango -- diced
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
Chicken
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic clove -- minced
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into 1" pieces
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Curry paste -- red
1 teaspoon fish sauce
12 ounces broccoli florets
12 ounces cauliflower flowerets
13 1/2 ounces ronzoni Healthy Harvest Penne Rigate

To prepare chutney, combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.

To prepare chicken, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine coconut milk and next 4 ingredients (coconut milk through fish sauce), stirring with a whisk. Add coconut mixture to pan; bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cover and cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chutney and pasta; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.

Source:
"CL 06/04"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 446 Calories; 6g Fat (11.6% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 78g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 578mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: