Thursday, June 02, 2005

Not sure if the name is truly representative - Summer Chicken Stir-fry

Not to be confrontational, but what exactly makes this a summer stir-fry? The red peppers? The snow peas? I'm guessing the peppers, because when I went to Wegman's this week, they had colored peppers front and center. I think I've lost almost all of my sense of seasonality - probably because just about any fruit/vegetable can be had year round. That's definitely a disadvantage, though - when the fruit/veggies are at their best, I tend to miss it, because I take them for granted. I'm guessing that I should stick with the fresh produce that is highlighted in grocery stores - it's probably the most frequently refreshed. Or do what I am doing this weekend - go to a farmers' market!

As for this recipe, I give it a solid 7 in flavor, and probably the same for ease of preparation. I liked the fact that I could use some of the balsamic vinaigrette that I had made the week before. When I was slicing up the snow peas, I thought that there was a lot of them, that maybe they would overwhelm the rest of the ingredients, but it wasn't the case. The texture of all the different elements worked together. One disadvantage for me was that I wasn't sure I liked the color that the chicken pieces came out to be - a light brown/vaguely tan. It wasn't unappetizing, but it wasn't inspiring. Leftovers on the second day kept their flavor well. There was definitely enough sauce to season the rice I served it on. Oh, and the recipe is from Health 06/05.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Summer Chicken Stir-Fry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons vinaigrette -- reduced-fat
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into short, thin strips
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
6 ounces snow pea pod, fresh -- cut diagonally in half
1 red bell pepper -- cut into short, thin strips
1/2 cup sliced green onions -- diagonally sliced, 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
3 cups cooked medium-grain white rice

Combine dressing, soy sauce and pepper flakes in a medium bowl; add chicken, tossing to coat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add snow peas and bell pepper; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add onions; stir-fry 1 minute or until chicken is thoroughly heated and vegetables are crisp-tender. Top with cilantro & serve over rice.

Source:
"Health 06/05"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 414 Calories; 10g Fat (22.4% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 531mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: