Thursday, November 16, 2006

New to me - Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar and Chopped Walnuts

I like brussels sprouts. Frozen, at least. I've always been semi-daunted by the idea of working with fresh ones. No idea why, they just seemed a bit more adventurous than some other vegetables.

After hearing some people maligning frozen brussels sprouts, I decided to be adventurous (ha!) and try fresh brussels sprouts.

The recipe I chose was from Vegetables Every Day, which I have not worked much from, but is a cookbook I love on concept alone. It's also a step out due to the fact that I've ingrained myself over 5 years of WW to only eat simple methods of cooking vegetables. In my mind, anything extra to veggies was just "wasted points". But you know what? There are only so many times you can eat the same veggies without starting to get burned out. And believe me, I was beginning to feel the burn. So to get myself over the hump, I reminded myself that this recipe has the healthy oils that I need.

I think I overtrimmed the brussels sprouts on this one. Other than that, I feel like the recipe came out nicely. It's not a jump up and down excitement recipe, but I liked it well enough. I do have one serving left in the freezer which I will be happy to eat, but I'm not sure I will repeat this recipe. I've opened my mind to fresh brussels - let's not close it again too quickly!

And by the way - I always thought they were brussel, not brusselS. Learn something new every day.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar and Chopped Walnuts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound brussels sprouts
salt
33 grams black walnuts -- chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
2 garlic cloves -- minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Bring several quarts of water to boil in a medium saucepan.

Trim brussels sprouts. Add sprouts and salt to taste to boiling water. Cook until sprouts are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut sprouts crosswise (not through the stem end) into thin strips.

Place nuts in a large skillet over medium heat. Toast, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the nuts, until they are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a small plate.

Briefly heat the oil in the empty skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the brussels sprouts and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts have browned slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vinegar and cook just until liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Stir in nuts and adjust seasonings. Sereve immediately.

Source:
"adapted from Vegetables Every Day"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 11g Fat (49.3% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 36mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: