Saturday, November 18, 2006

Yes, another soup - Butternut Soup with Pears and Apples


Stuck in a rut - me? Well, maybe. I found my love for pureed soups this past summer, and if it makes me happy to make them, why not? They are so easy, can be very healthy, can be served warm or cold, and are a great side to my other addiction - muffins! What could be better?

Yes, this soup is the same color as the last recipe I posted, but it is a different recipe, and one I like much better. My MasterCook lists this as a CL recipe, but when I search for it in their online recipe search it doesn't come up. Anyway, I made this recipe because I wanted to use one of those packages of pre-cut butternut squash that the grocery stores have out. It's one of the convenience packages that I don't feel guilty using. I've cut myself multiple times when chopping onions - you don't want me attacking a squash. Trust me on this.

This recipe was easy to put together. I think there's something about me, though - butter just doesn't smell as good to me as a cooking fat anymore. If I repeat this recipe, I'll probably use canola oil instead. Other than that, I really liked putting this recipe together. I'm a little averse to celery, but I wouldn't leave it out of this recipe. I don't like it on its own, and I always end up buying the celery with about one stalk that isn't breaking, but for this recipe, I think there's so much of it, it's really necessary.

I ate it warm the first night, at room temperature the next couple. I like how it tasted at room temperature, so I can eat it at work without reheating. (I hate microwaving soup).

A nicely full-bodied, fully-flavored healthy soup. Might be a repeat, but not a definite.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Butternut Soup with Pears and Apples

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 1/4 pounds butternut squash -- peeled and cubed
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup chopped apple -- Braeburn or other cooking, peeled
1 cup pear -- Anjou, chopped, peeled
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
14 1/2 ounces vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add squash and next 8 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf. Place half of squash mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan, and stir in syrup. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.

Source:
"CL Annual Recipes 2001"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 175 Calories; 3g Fat (16.2% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 563mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 3 points

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: