Sunday, July 17, 2005

Chocolate....- Moist Fudgey Brownies

I love to bake. Love, love, love to bake. I also love having a small waist, so I try to limit my baking. The problem with baking, though, is that the yield is so large. That and my tendency to eat more of the pan than I really should.

Enter Small Batch Baking. It's a cookbook that I looked at and didn't think I would get - mostly because the recipes I first saw seemed to call for specialized pans. But when someone on the CLBB reviewed this, I thought I might as well try it.

The results are mixed, in my mind. The recipe definitely was a fudgey brownie, and the fact that it only served 3 means that I ended up with only 2 servings in my freezer. The problem I had is that the brownie came out more puffed up then I expect in a brownie. Maybe it's all psychological, but I am used to a brownie that is flatter, which ends up with a square that is larger, and easier to consume in small bites. I like the flavor & convenience of this brownie - it'll just take time to get used to the looks.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Moist Fudgey Brownies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- at room temperature
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate -- chopped (original calls for 3/4 ounce()
6 tablespoons sugar
1 egg white -- beaten well
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 2/3 tablespoons unbleached flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts -- optional

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 5x3-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with a strip of aluminum foil to fit down the length and up the short sides, with enough extra length to extend over the edges by about 1 1/2 inches. Lightly grease the foil, and set the pan aside.

Place the butter and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on medium power until the chocolate is soft and the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Stir until the chocolate is smooth. Add the sugar and whisk well. Then add the beaten egg and vanilla, and whisk until well blended. Add the flour and salt, and whisk well. Then fold in the pecans, if using. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared loaf pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 28 to 30 minutes; the top will appear dry and will be starting to shrink from the edges of the pan. Do not overbake.

Remove the loaf pan from the oven, place it on a wire rack, and let the brownies cool completely in the pan. Use the edges of the foil to lift the brownies out of the pan. Remove the foil and cut the brownies into bars.

Source:
"Small Batch Baking - posted on CLBB by Meganator - http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75923"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 224 Calories; 13g Fat (47.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 82mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: