Wednesday, January 04, 2006

ARF Tuesday - Waldorf Salad

Sweetnicks is one of my favorite blogs - I can't believe she manages to cook just about every night, spend time with an adorable child, and still manage to write some wonderful entries every day to her blog. She's inspirational - so when I saw she was going to do a new weekly challenge, I decided to join in with abandon.

I'm late on this entry - but hopefully will do better next week.

Anyway, last night's entry included pecans. I decided to do a simple recipe - because I came back from NJ on Monday, and didn't have much time to shop & cook. The waldorf salad came from 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes. I've actually done another challenge with this book. I cooked 5 recipes from it, and they were pretty good. Although of all the recipes I've made from it, I think I like this salad the best. It was easy to make, held well overnight, and was very tasty. I can definitely see repeating this.

I did make a simple sub in this recipe - I used nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream. I also halved the recipe, and just used 1 golden delicious apple.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Waldorf Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups chopped apple -- unpeeled, cored, and cubed, red and green
1 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
lettuce leaves -- as garnish

Combine apples, celery, raisins, and walnuts in medium bowl. Mix remaining ingredients, except lettuce leaves, and stir into apple mixture. Serve on lettuce-lined plates.

Source:
"1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 193 Calories; 10g Fat (44.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 115mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1 comment:

Cate said...

Thank you for your kind words! I'm going to mention this post in the round-up as well - double credit coming your way! ;)