Thursday, January 12, 2006

A possible new repeater - Chicken Basquaise

I can get particularly lazy sometimes. I buy ingredients for one recipe, and because of the delay in making it, I end up making something totally different. I have the ingredients for a tuna-noodle casserole that I am planning on making tomorrow night; I think I have had the ingredients for over a month (no, nothing perishable). Anyway, I had the chicken breasts for this recipe sitting in the fridge. The date on the package was January 11. I knew I had to buckle down and just do it. Problem is, I don't cook with meat that often, because I always feel like I overcook it. But I had bought the chicken; no turning back.

This recipe came out wonderfully. It had enough oil to cook the chicken (which is always an issue for me). The chicken cooked up to gorgeous golden color, with some specks of the paprika spice mix for contrast. I did use a orange pepper instead of the green pepper that the recipe originally called for, so the end result was a mixture of yellows, oranges, and red (from tomato & pepper). Sometimes that can be a little boring, but there were enough shades of color that it was just gorgeous. And not only did it look good, but it tasted wonderful as well. The chicken was tender, the veggies were perfect, and the rice really became a part of the dish, instead of being a separate component. Absolutely marvelous.

Of course, I then had to ruin my one day streak of great cooking by burning evaporated milk TWICE when trying to make brownies...


* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Basquaise

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into 1" pieces
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Spanish onion -- chopped
1 medium red bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
2 plum tomatoes -- chopped
1 garlic clove -- minced
2 cups cooked white rice

Place the chicken pieces in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, basil, salt, cayenne, and pepper. Sprinkle 1 tsp of the seasoning mix evenly over the chicken; toss to coat.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the chicken. Cook until nicely browned and cooked through, 7-8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean bowl.

Add the onion and the red and green bell peppers to the skillet; cook until the peppers are tender. Add the chopped tomatoes, the garlic, and the remaining seasoning mix. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the chicken is heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

Source:
"Best of Weight Watcher Magazine"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 305 Calories; 4g Fat (12.8% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 316mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 6 points

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: