Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Black bean soup (ARF!) and cheddar biscuits

I'm trying to work from cookbooks that I own but are not one's that I immediately reach for. It's a matter of culling my collection, painful though it might be. I decided to work from Crazy Plates and Looneyspoons, two cookbooks written by the same authors. The books themselves kind of get on my nerves - a little too cutesy for me. The recipe names are bad puns. But I didn't want to close my mind, so I decided to try a pair that I had looked at and thought I might like.

The first is Bean Me Up, Scotty. It's a basic black bean soup. It includes carrots, red peppers, garlic, onions, and jalapenos, and of course black beans. The ingredients are cooked together, and then blended to what should be a somewhat thick soup, I would think. Unfortunately, it's not one that I think I will repeat. I wasn't too excited by it the first night. I decided to try it the next day, hoping that it would improve, as they mostly do the next day. Unfortunately, this didn't. It's a little too sweet for me. I didn't include the cilantro that it called for, but even with it, I can't see it being a favorite.

The second recipe is called Takin' Care of Biscuits. They are biscuits, made with reduced-fat cheddar cheese. I like the texture of these, but I don't actually taste any cheese in them. I did like the fact that the recipe has whole wheat flour.

So, nothing so far to make me keep this cookbook.

And, to see the roundup for ARF #3, go to Sweetnick's


* Exported from MasterCook *

Bean Me Up, Scotty

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups/Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped carrots
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 jalapeno chile pepper -- seeded and minced
2 cups beef broth, ready to eat
1 cup vegetable broth, ready-to-serve
8 ounces tomato sauce
25 ounces canned black beans -- drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper, carrots, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Top each bowl with a tablespoon of sour cream.

Source:
"Crazy Plates"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 173 Calories; 3g Fat (16.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1042mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 4 points - 12 grams of fiber!

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


* Exported from MasterCook *

Takin' Care of Biscuits

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese -- sharp, shredded
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon honey

Preheat oven to 425.

In a medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in cheese. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Combine buttermilk and honey. Add to dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir to form a soft dough. Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Form into a ball. Roll out dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-inch rounds using a biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet coated that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 12 minutes, until biscuits have puffed up and are golden brown. Serve warm.

Source:
"Crazy Plates"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 133 Calories; 4g Fat (27.9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 338mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: