Sunday, January 22, 2006

One of those just do it nights

I didn't do much cooking last week. For some reason, I just wasn't in the mood. Probably stuck in overplanning mode. Anyway, last night I was trying to plan this week's meals. I already had found a recipe for ARF, and was planning on making it tonight. Oh - it's Sunday, just to give a sense of what I mean by tonight. Anyway, I was resisting making the ARF meal tonight, because it's fairly easy to put together, and since I had an entire day to play, I figured I might as well do something slightly more involved. I had had a frozen pizza Saturday night, so that put it into my mind - homemade pizza time!

This recipe is a new one to me, both crust and topping. The recipe is from Weight Watcher's Simply the Best Italian. The cookbook is one that I got for free from someone on one of the boards I used to post to. She had bought it, and didn't think she would cook from it. It is a little more "Italian" than the casual eater might think - more in depth than spaghetti with meatballs, I can tell you that. I've actually made another pizza from this cookbook that turned out well. Tonight's pizza turned out so nicely.

First of all, I am thrilled to say I had the patience to let the dough rise without rushing it. I let it go for longer than the recipe said, and by the time I got back to it, it was perfectly risen. Secondly, it was incredibly easy to work with. I've made pizza before, and have never been able to stretch the dough out to the 12-inch size. This dough went to 12 inches beautifully!

The toppings on this pizza were great. It's a white pizza, no sauce. The book says that the cheese doesn't melt like mozzarella, but it melted well enough for me. The way the book talked, it sounded like it would stay in the crumbles, but it didn't.

I really like the gorgonzola on this. It's a great pizza, all around! And I can count it for ARF too - artichoke hearts.

And I did end up counting it for ARF. Round up is here


* Exported from MasterCook *

Artichoke and Red Pepper Whole-Wheat Pizza

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup warm water -- plus 1 tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 ounce active dry yeast
1 cup bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups artichoke hearts -- chopped
1 red bell pepper -- julienned
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste

To make the dough, combine the water and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk in the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Combine both flours and half the salt in a food processor. With the machine running, scrape the yeast mixture through the feed tube. After the dough forms a ball, continue to run about 30 seconds to knead.

Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Work the dough into a 12-inch circle on a nonstick baking sheet or pizza pan. Cover loosely and return to the warm spot 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 500.

Combine the artichokes, bell pepper, oil, and the remaining salt. Spoon over the dough; sprinkle with the cheese and pepper. Bake until the crust is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

Source:
"Simply the Best Italian"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 312 Calories; 9g Fat (24.8% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 414mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: