Thursday, May 26, 2005

A delicious combo - Tex-Mex Bean Burgers & Whole Wheat Burger Buns

So, summer is almost here. You wouldn't be able to tell from the weather recently, but that's another rant. Unfortunately for me, I don't grill. Apartment living + girly-girl basically. I will eventually learn to grill from self-preservation - there are so many great grill recipes I want to try! For now, though, I work with internal cooking.

So, I was in a mood for burgers. I also knew that I would be weighing myself at the end of the month, so I wanted them to be healthy & light. And all together now - Cooking Light! I searched for vegetarian burgers, and found a recipe that uses pinto beans from the 05/97 issue.

I definitely liked this recipe. It came together quickly and beautifully. The patties melded together perfectly, and I left enough beans partial that there was a nice variety in color/texture. The flavors melded beautifully. The only issue I really had was that the monterey jack was a little oily, but that might be because I used full-fat. I love these as my perfect bean burger - they even tasted better 2 days later!

And to go with the burgers - whole wheat burger buns! The rolls came out to be the best recipe I have made with yeast. I think the hand mixing made a huge difference in terms of learning when the dough was ready to go to kneading. I think I tended to overmix when using the KitchenAid. I also used a tip from Alton Brown and put the dough in a container that had markings on it (an iced-tea pitcher) so I could tell when it doubled in size. The dough rose beautifully, and the only bad thing about the recipe was my imperfect splitting of the dough. The rolls had a beautiful and subtle flavor, and the crust was not too hard, which tends to be a weakness in my breadmaking. These rolls are a definite repeat. Oh, and I did use skim milk instead of 1%, but that's about all that I differed from the recipe.

My mods to the recipe were to make my own buns (linked above), not make the salsa (just did mustard), and to use full fat cheese (not through any preference, just because it was all I could find).


* Exported from MasterCook *

Tex-Mex Bean Burgers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : May '97 Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans -- drained
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup minced fresh onion
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cooking spray
1 1/2 ounces shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
3 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns
3/4 cup salsa

Place pinto beans in a bowl. Partially mash with a fork, and set aside. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add coriander, flour, cumin, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to beans, and stir well. Cut 6 (4-inch) squares of wax paper. Divide bean mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping into 3 1/2-inch patties on a wax paper square.

Preheat broiler.

Invert patties onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; remove wax paper squares. Broil patties 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over, and sprinkle with cheese. Broil an additional minute or until cheese melts. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each with 1/4 cup salsa and top half of bun.

Cuisine:
"Tex-Mex"
Source:
"CL 05/97"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 346 Calories; 8g Fat (20.5% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 1317mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 4510 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 26424 713 0

No comments: