Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Still catching up - Thai Carrot Salad

So - day 2 of non-counting (Weight Watchers - 3 years at goal, and feeling a little obsessive) and non-cooking. I think that by the time I get back from my girls' weekend in Boston, I will be dying to get back to my own kitchen. Until then, I have time to do laundry, get ready for my twice-monthly cleaners visit, and catch up here.

Thai Carrot Salad from Simply the Best. 4 carrots in the food processor, mix with marinade ingredients & chill. Once again, the lazy cook. Don't know if it should really be counted as a recipe - but since I make the rules here, I count it. Besides, I sliced up a serrano and felt the burn for the rest of the night so I think I deserve some latitude.

Good side - I finally got myself to buy fish sauce so will be more willing to make recipes that include it in the future. Got to work with a serrano pepper which I've never used before. Which brings me to the bad side - all I tasted in the recipe was heat. I like things to be hot - not palate burning, but a nice heat works well. It works well that is if it has a flavor component which this salad unfortunately did not. I will post it anyway - see if someone else has a different experience with it.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai Carrot Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 carrots -- shredded
1 serrano peppers -- seeded, deveined and chopped
4 scallions -- thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons fish sauce -- or low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons peanuts, dry-roasted unsalted -- coarsely chopped

In a large bowl, combine the carrots, chiles, scallions, lime juice, sugar and fish sauce. Refrigerate, covered, until the flavors are blended, at least 1 hour. Serve, sprinkled with peanuts.

Source:
"WW Simply the Best"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 79 Calories; 3g Fat (29.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 29mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: