Friday, May 27, 2005

A little something for those greens - Balsamic Vinaigrette

Well, as I said before, I'm not much in to salad dressings. The commercial made ones are full of either fat or preservatives. I also don't want to go searching out a really great organic one because I just wouldn't use it, and it would be money wasted. So, I'm not really searching for the ultimate salad dressing - just one that I can mix up when I need it, and not feel guilty about not being able to use it all.

Wonder of wonders - I've found my salad dressing! I used to just use balsamic vinegar on my greens, but it never fully satisfied - a little too tangy. That's probably why I am so thrilled with this dressing - it does include the flavor of balsamic vinegar (which I do love, but is a little overwhelming solo), but also tempers it. The dressing is vaguely sweet but not too sugary, and all the flavors blend nicely. Another nice aspect is that it will use up the leftovers from other recipes - I never use basil in more than one dish, and always feel bad when I have it leftover.

Bet you'll never guess where this one came from! (I'll give you a hint - the initials are CL). Maybe I should just re-name this blog to all-Cooking Light, all the time!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chopped shallots -- finely chopped
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place of the all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

Source:
"CL 01/01"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 38 Calories; 2g Fat (37.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: