Saturday, May 21, 2005

The eternal question - Double Raisin Nut Carrot Muffins

So, the question is - how much of a change can be made to a recipe before it becomes a new recipe? I know there is a legal definition - from second-hand knowledge (which is best taken with a grain of salt). I know that some people don't believe in posting recipes to the net. I respect their opinion, and the reason I choose to post is because I am somewhat selfish - I like to talk about recipes, and feel it is a little mean to discuss a recipe without giving it as a point of reference. I also take a lot of recipes from other peoples' blogs, so I want to share as a way of giving back.

The reason this came up is because I made a CL recipe for the first time this week, but modified it a bit. I don't feel like I made enough changes to call it a recipe of my own, though. I did re-name it, because the original recipe called for dates, which I substituted out. For comparison, I will provide both recipes, so you can see where I differed. The reasons for the changes are fairly basic - using up ingredients that I already had on hand.

I really like how this recipe came out. I switched from doing it as a loaf to doing it as muffins, because it's instantly portion controlled, which really helps me in controlling my portions. I like the mix of unbleached & wheat flour because it tends to give baked goods a heartier flavor. The double raisin combination was meant to use up the last of my dark raisins as well as break into the golden raisins I've had hanging around for forever. And the final change of soaking the raisins in a coconut milk/apple juice combination came about as a convenience. I had leftover coconut milk from a soup recipe, and I had apple juice hanging in my fridge. I'm always a bit jumpy about how long to keep fruit juices. But since I'm still alive after eating two of the muffins I figure I was safe.

I definitely think this recipe is a repeater. I really like that it actually tastes good without having to be toasted. It tasted good the first and second day and I expect it to taste good on the third day. Plus there are plenty left to fill the freezer.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Double Raisin Nut Carrot Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Nov/ Dec '97

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350º.

Combine coconut milk, apple juice, and both kinds of raisins in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in carrot, walnuts, oil, eggs, and egg white. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into muffin tins coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove muffins from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Source:
"modification of CL recipe"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 200 Calories; 6g Fat (26.9% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 187mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 20027 3532 4921 20187 0 3218 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


* Exported from MasterCook *

Date-Nut-Carrot Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Nov/ Dec '97

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup pitted dates -- chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350º.

Combine water, dates, and raisins in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in carrot, walnuts, oil, eggs, and egg white. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8×4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350º for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Serving Size: 1 slice

Source:
"Cooking Light, November/December 1997, p.186"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; 6g Fat (26.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 174mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 20027 3532 4921 20187 0 3218 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: