Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Trying to fulfill a craving - Chicken Fried Rice with Bok Choy

So a couple weeks ago I had an empty freezer (and boy did that hurt). I fell back on an old fav - Lean Cuisine's Chicken Fried Rice. Oh boy, do I love the stuff. And I'm so used to lighter cuisine that when I go back to Chinese food I used to love it feels greasy. So, I want light Chinese - and I want to make it myself.

Cooking Light to the rescue! (As usual). Making this was really an accomplishment for me. It wasn't as much the actual cooking as it was the mindset change that is really becoming ingrained. It was a Friday - and of course, chaos ensued. Bad stuff always happens at work on Fridays - and if you are going on vacation, watch out! I thought I would be working late, but luckily it turns out I didn't have to. By then I had stuck in my mind the idea of a quick meal - I almost just went and grabbed a frozen dinner instead of making my planned meal. But then I said - it's just as much time (almost) to cook for myself, and the food is much better. So, I knuckled down and made this. And I'm happy I did. No, it's not the ultimate Chinese - but it's mine.

I like the taste of this recipe, but don't love it. It's something nice to have on hand or in the freezer - a very simple fried rice, but it doesn't have an overwhelming flavor to it. I've had recipes where the dominant flavor was of chicken broth, and although this recipe didn't have any broth in it, there was still a little taste of that in it. So, if I made this again, I would probably up the
spices. The mushrooms in this are interesting, in that I have a sense that they are not necessary here, but I am not sure what I would replace them with (if I
did at all). They don't add to the flavor, but they don't detract either. I love, love, LOVE baby bok choy - I've had it before, and didn't know what it
was. If I did this dish again, though, I think I would chop the leaves & stalks separately, just because of how big they were as pieces to try and eat. I did make this with chicken breasts instead of thighs, so that might have had an impact on the flavor, but I still think the spices need to be upped.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Fried Rice with Bok Choy

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound skinless chicken thighs -- boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce -- divided
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 garlic cloves -- minced
6 ounces mushroom caps -- shiitake, thinly sliced
3 cups cooked white rice -- cold
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound bok choy -- baby, quartered lengthwise
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Combine chicken and 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tossing to coat.

Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots, ginger, and garlic; sauté 10 seconds. Add chicken mixture and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add rice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bok choy; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Push rice mixture to one side of pan. Add egg to empty side of pan; cook 1 minute or until almost set, stirring constantly. Stir egg into rice mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Source:
"CL 03/04"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 249 Calories; 7g Fat (23.6% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 403mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: