Friday, July 01, 2011

Now that's motivation!

Late to the party, I know, but I just started reading Run!: 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss



I'm only halfway through, and I want to go out and run hard. I've been slacking, I feel, and my trainer gently suggested such without even saying it (that's a skill!) by suggesting I incorporate tempo runs in my training. (Don't worry about my slacking on run-on sentences - I've got that covered! Also in overuse of exclamation points and commas!)

Anyway, short story shorter, a lot of the book focuses on working through the tough times when running. I've got to realize - it's not going to kill me. I can do more than I have been.

So - going forward:
  • I have one more session of core training. This is intervals of treadmill work (speed and inclines) alternating with floor core work (pushups, planks (side and regular), bicycles, wall sits, etc.). Since it's our final week we're going to be doing assessments. Goals - Work through the entire time of all exercises. Several times during the time we've had these sessions I've dropped to my knees on the floor or walked if on the treadmill. None of that. It's all mental. I know I can rock through this.
  • After the core training is done, Fridays will be tempo runs. I will have about 8 weeks until my half, so this is the time to kick into gear. Goal: Hit 9:30 miles by last session.
  • I ran with a running group this week. I will continue doing so. Goal: Drop speed on each run, goal of 9 minute miles. I expect this to be a longer term goal.

Overall goal - work it until it hurts. And know I can go further.


No comments: