Friday, November 04, 2011

Thankful challenge day 4

Today is a day where I am feeling physically and mentally tired.  Started out with some DOMS from my personal training session on Wednesday that caused me to cut my 6 mile run into a 3 mile run.  And even with that I had trouble getting out of my chair at work today.  Luckily tomorrow is a massage, so that should help.  Emotionally I had some non-surprising but important news come that will cause some changes at work, so that's always exhausting.

With that, I still decided to stick with what I planned my be thankful for today message would be.  For today, I am thankful for my health.

I haven't talked about it much, but I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 24.  It had hit me hard - I couldn't walk down the halls at work, I shuffled.  I didn't have the power to shift the gear shaft in my car.  I was so happy when they finally told me what it was.

It's been 13 years since that diagnosis, and I've had my ups and downs.  I've had days where I just couldn't walk well from the pain and stiffness.  And you don't know how strange it feels to have attacks in your toes! I've had a few nights where I woke up in pain.

With all that said my symptoms are very well controlled by medication.  I'm currently on methotrexate but in the past have been on such fun medications as Vioxx (you know, the one that was taken off the market because it caused heart problems?) and Plaquenil, which caused permanent scarring in my retinas.  Fun!

I think my running has made me that much stronger and able to deal with my arthritis.  I haven't had the attacks recently.

I also am very blessed because it could be so much worse.  I am currently reading an incredible book about the history of cancer.



Get it out from the library and read it.  I'm only partially the way through and am already enthralled.  It balances the heartbreak of cancer stories with teaching about how people in history have taken bold risks to fight it. 

In reading it I am reminded that I am truly thankful for my health.

No comments: